« A Smidge Of Rationality Returns | Main | Warping Young Minds »

Monday, September 25, 2006

Timothy On George Bush

I know I said blogging was going to be light, but I was interrupted by the Dogz going apeshit over intruders in the yard.  Yup, the Jehovah's Witnesses came by to share some "good news" with me.

They were very nice: a senior woman and a younger woman.  I always let them talk for a little while until they ask their leading questions.  Today's passage from Scripture was 2 Timothy 3: 1-5:

There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

"What does this sound like to you?"

"Well, I was raised a Quaker and this all sounds just like it describes...certain people in charge of our nation right right now."

Then I got my free copies of Awake and WatchtowerCurrent topics: Is there a Creator?; Are we living in 'the last days'?

September 25, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Timothy On George Bush:

Comments

oh you let them talk? You do know they will return now on a more regular basis? My hubby made the mistake of letting them talk, once. It took me 18 months to get them to stop coming by the house every Saturday, while Hubby hid in the bathroom. I finally freed myself from their weekly visits by telling them that I had determined that God had sent them to my door so that I might save their souls, never saw them again.

Posted by: rugo | Sep 25, 2006 9:31:05 AM

My brother used to invite them in and argue theology with them for hours. He'd run rings 'round them. After a few times our house was put on a do not approach list. We'd see them walk by each week. Heh, heh.

Posted by: mnkid | Sep 25, 2006 10:17:52 AM

...when have there not been "terrible days"?

Posted by: Darryl Pearce | Sep 25, 2006 10:37:59 AM

One guy I used to know would take off his clothing, one piece at a time, when the Witnesses showed up at his door.

Posted by: kirby | Sep 25, 2006 11:54:17 AM

The end IS near. Unfortunately, it's the rear end.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Sep 25, 2006 9:25:18 PM

Oh, I forgot. My response to JW's and similar types? I talk through the crack left by the door chain. I say, "Just a moment, while I get my wallet." I close the door. I get my wallet. But I don't come back to the door.

The First Amendment guarantees them the right to go door to door, speaking to anyone who will listen. I will defend that right. But I am not among those who will listen.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Sep 25, 2006 9:30:09 PM

But I am not among those who will listen.

Steve Bates, Oppressor of Christians. Don't you know that it's worse for Christians in America than it was during the reign of the Emperor Nero? Why, nowadays, not every single element of fundamentalist dogma is being enforced by US government fiat. And that just makes Baby Jesus cry.

Whoops, somewhere out there, Amy Sullivan is shrieking in distress. Good.

Posted by: mds | Sep 26, 2006 11:51:30 AM

Attaturk said to tell you he sent me over.

I always fantasize about ranting and raving
at people who come to the door wanting to
save me. But when they do, I get tongue-tied
and just tell them I'm not interested until
they leave.

I had an excellent upbringing that my crummy
soul is constantly trying to live up to.

Posted by: tellybelly | Sep 26, 2006 1:25:03 PM

My family's standard response was 'Catholic' before closing the door. Worked well with double-glazing salesmen too.

Posted by: pseudonymous in nc | Sep 26, 2006 1:45:37 PM

OVER 450 JEHOVAH'S WITNESS LAWSUITS, COURT CASES, ETC. SUMMARIZED

This website summarizes 300 United States court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witnesses, including dozens of cases where the Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

This website summarizes 160 United States court cases and lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against Employers:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES