« Who Blogs? | Main | A Discordant Society »

Thursday, July 20, 2006

To the Moon, Alice!

Think we'll make it back to the lunar surface?  Should we bother?

July 20, 2006 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference To the Moon, Alice!:

Comments

I really wish we would. Ditch the shuttle, stop spending money in Iraq, and do the international thing.

I can't believe they were able to get there with 60s tech, but now it's 'cost-prohibitive'. Can't we buy the stuff at Walmart?

Posted by: smosh | Jul 20, 2006 11:33:28 AM

We will go back to the moon when China or India decides it will land there and create a base. We will feel slighted, insulted, and challenged to show our might by trying to get there first.

Or else we finally vote in a real president who loves education and science, and knows how to look to the future.

Posted by: ellroon | Jul 20, 2006 11:48:46 AM

A few more decades and we'll have turned the surface of this planet into a comparable moonscape and we won't have to go anywhere. Problem solved.

Next.

Posted by: The CultureGhost | Jul 20, 2006 11:59:15 AM

Why trash out the moon? We've already proved we could do that here. Now landing on the sun would be a real adventure. I stare at it all the time to help that visualization.

Posted by: Mortski | Jul 20, 2006 2:39:22 PM

I'd rather we did not for now, as the current strategy is ownership of space for military purposes. I'm not too keen on turning the Moon into a Death Star.

And the ultimate concentration camp?! Ooof.

"We came in peace for all mankind" is soooo 20th century....

Posted by: Uncle Smokes | Jul 20, 2006 5:49:32 PM

I think it likely humans will go back to the moon, but I doubt that the US government will finance it this time.

If anything, the US might be part of an international effort, but I have a hunch it will most likely be done by private financing.

Posted by: Diane | Jul 20, 2006 6:46:55 PM

Colonizing the Moon and beyond is our destiny. We should do more to embrace it.

Posted by: Toby Petzold | Jul 20, 2006 8:40:00 PM

Toby, for once we agree.

Plus going to the moon is wicked cool, and a helluva lot more productive than blowing up shit and killing people.

Posted by: NTodd | Jul 21, 2006 5:22:24 PM