« A Dignified Goodbye | Main | Emergency Dogblogging »

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Next On CNN: Death Watch II

So now that Terri Schiavo has died, I see we're going to be treated to endless analysis of the Pope's declining health.  I mean, really, I turn on Inside Politics and I get a long discussion with the dreamy Dr. Sanjy Gupta about how they diagnosed John Paul's UTI?

And do we go back to Michael Jackson when the Pope passes on, or is there some other morbid circus to attend?

March 31, 2005 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Next On CNN: Death Watch II:

Comments

Don't start the papal sweepstakes just yet. CNN erred in calling it the last rites. What he got was the anointing of the sick--which would certainly be given to someone in danger of imminent death, but which would also be appropriate to someone with a serious infection or about to have surgery.

This could be the beginning of the end, or this could be a routine blip on the radar. It's difficult to say. Normally, the saying is that the pope is never sick until he's dead. That the Vatican is saying this much could either be an attempt to be more open (since they've already admitted he has Parkinson's), or it could mean he's already at death's door and they're just starting to prepare people for the news.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 31, 2005 5:10:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. I didn't put much stock into the 'last rites' thing anyway, but I didn't realize there was another ritual for the sick.

Anyway, I just think the whole "it hurts when the Pope pees" coverage is rather...sick.

Posted by: NTodd | Mar 31, 2005 5:18:17 PM

From Wikipedia (Catholic Sacraments):

"The Anointing of the Sick is also known as extreme unction or the last rites and involves the anointing with oil of the sick and dying. Only a priest or bishop can administer this sacrament. It is held that in some cases this sacrament effects a miraculous cure, but only if there are things God wishes the recipient of the sacrament to do before dying".

As with Terri Schiavo, I wish the same for the Pope...to live without pain and when his time comes to pass on, that his passing is dignified and peaceful.

Posted by: Kath | Mar 31, 2005 5:26:31 PM

Now that you mention it, dreamy really is a good way to describe Dr. Gupta. What is it about this guy, anyway?

Posted by: vachon | Mar 31, 2005 5:45:43 PM

After the Pope, there's Falwell and then Prince Rainier of Monaco. And prolly a couple of big televised funerals.

And what is it with these Indian-American doctors anyway? I've never seen one that isn't a hunka doodle doo.

Posted by: Willow | Mar 31, 2005 5:55:43 PM

all this death in the culture of life, what gives?

well, peace be on him and terri, as for jerry i might have a different notion. even there it's hard for me to wish ill. in life, we all do the best we can. except g.w., who seems of a very different persuasion.

Posted by: charley | Mar 31, 2005 7:43:07 PM

Not to be overly nasty, charley, but have you ever considered that this may be the best that g.w. can do.

I have noticed that Falwell tends to synchronize his hospitalizations with the Pope.

The problem for the Pope is that every new disease and treatment takes a little more out of him, and it has to be supremely frustrating for a man who was as active, for as long as he was.

If these death watches are generating numbers you can expect them to continue.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 31, 2005 9:58:30 PM

yes, but his fucked uppedness is too persistent to be forgiven. for chrissakes, he's leader of the free world, ah,... i mean once free world.

talk about the peter principle.

Posted by: charley | Apr 1, 2005 5:03:32 AM

This was definitely news that I couldn't use - did I really need to know the Pope has a urninary tract infection?

Posted by: George Johnston | Apr 1, 2005 7:47:01 AM

NTodd, I swear I did not read your blog before writing my little blog post this morning! Promise! I didn't have time to read anything last night, either. Just so's you know I'm not copying you. It's just that great minds think alike:)

Posted by: oldwhitelady | Apr 1, 2005 10:23:24 AM

I didn't know the Pope pees. I thought all that is given up when you hit cardinal or bishop or something, and they glue you into your robes...

Just wondered whether all this is affecting the Rapture Index or not...It might be nice to know if his death will make fundies buy bed sheets and go up into the hills.

Posted by: ellroon | Apr 1, 2005 11:11:12 AM