« Whosoever killeth a human being | Main | History is a pack of lies we play on the dead »

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sorry, Steve

Hunter at dKos:

[S]eriously, Ron Paul and Rick Perry and half the state of Texas and conservatives in general, suck it up a bit. Nobody likes whiners. Stop claiming a glorious permanent conservative revolution every time you win (2010) and threatening an actual conservative revolution every time you lose (2012). Stop waffling between the bullying "love it" and the maudlin, emo "leave it" parts depending on which day of the week it is.

And for God's sake, please, please stop demanding the end of the republic each and every time you get pissed off that maybe the government is treating some minority a bit more like they're actually human. It's been two hundred and some odd years of this crap, that horse died a long while back.

Yeahman.

PS--My epic post(s) on self-determination, society and the State will have to wait until after T-day.  Because I know you care.

November 21, 2012 in Constitution, Schmonstitution | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Sorry, Steve:

Comments

Damn.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 21, 2012 11:19:16 PM

Just how many blogs, and for how long, do I have to avoid not to be subjected to what I consider a ranting, raving injustice? Forty percent (40%) of Texans, more or less, vote Democratic on a regular basis. We're not Mississippi, f'chrissake. When GeeDubya was elected (selected?) for a second term, I was literally run off of one of the lefty sites... Amanda? First Draft? I don't remember which, but you'd think I had maligned somebody's mother JUST BY LIVING IN THE SAME STATE as that bastard.

I'll be happy to vacate the threads. But I'll be God-damned if I put up with personal abuse for what the like of Rick Perry, Ron Paul & Co. attempt to do. There ARE people in Texas with other opinions. There have been such people for decades that I personally know of. Guilt by association is unworthy of the left blogosphere. You... we... are supposed to be better than that.

Fuck everyone who cannot accept such help as we can give because there are also idiots here. Fuck 'em.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 22, 2012 12:09:20 AM

Some of my most cherished people come from Texas. Molly Ivins, fer xst sake. And Barbara Jordan. And Anne Richards. And Jim Hightower.

Posted by: lea-p | Nov 22, 2012 1:07:40 AM

Well, Hunter was being generous when he said "half of Texas" if 40% of Texans vote Democratic. I suspect he was directing his ire that the part that votes poorly and then bitches when they lose...

Posted by: NTodd Pritsky | Nov 22, 2012 9:28:42 PM

In the span of one decade, the US House GOP leadership, starting with Tom DeLay, re-re-redistricted (gerrymandered) Texas a total of THREE times. Some of the district (precinct) boundaries run along state highways from one city to another. The FEDERAL courts let them get away with it, three times in a decade (two would be normal). Finally, prior to this most recent election, a federal court ruled the district boundaries violated the Voting Rights Act and forced a rollback (for the 2012 elections only) to 2010 boundaries. We do not know what happens next.

Republicans, who are in control of most county governments including Harris (that's Houston, only Houston spills over into 8 counties), often do things unannounced, like move polls from the place they've been for years. Try to vote when the poll isn't there.

If, despite all odds, a Democrat arrives at the polling place, s/he faces an e-voting machine system chosen by a former county clerk, a Republican, purchased from a company that has had known problems nationwide. No, it's not touch-screen; it has finger-dials and discrete buttons, so if it has problems, they have to be in the s/w or the setup for a specific election. To be fair, I know of no actual voting system fraud committed here. But all but about two dozen of Texas's counties use the same company's machines... a company part of which is now owned by Tabb Romney.

Do you think maybe we have a genuine grievance?

That "40%" is my estimate, and it is based on stats that come out of that same e-voting system. Who knows what the real number is. "Half of Texas" may be generous, or as likely as not, ungenerous. But the "fuck Texas" movement will surely adopt whatever number suits their needs best.

I know a lot of Texans. A LOT of Texans. I know no one of any political stripe who favors secession; there's even a Texas Democratic Party effort underway to formalize that opposition. We live in full-blown, batshit-crazy times.

Goddamnit, we are not Alabama, or Mississippi, or Louisiana. And those of us who are making a best effort to "turn Texas blue" as the slogan has it really tire of having (metaphorical) brickbats and brass knuckles directed against us by people whose politics are essentially no different from our own. Demographics is on our side in Texas: we have already a majority of people of color, and in a few years that may even serve to overcome the Republican gerrymanders (plural).

Until then, it would be very helpful if the rest of you in states who have not faced problems like ours just BACK THE FUCK OFF.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 23, 2012 12:03:40 AM

Correction:

"(two would be normal)."

One at each end of the decade; i.e., one per decade, after a US Census.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 23, 2012 12:05:17 AM

Well, there's nothing for that correction to apply to. At least now I know...

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 23, 2012 12:08:02 AM

Hey, Ray Tuxiera tells us Blue TX is inevitable. Still, why not poke fun at the secesh who post online petitions and elect nutballs, especially when we are going to be stuck with a Red TX and GOP House for at least a decade?

And you know, people still ask me if VT has more cows than people (hasn't been true for a while, and we have more paved roads than dirt, too).

*shrugs*

Posted by: NTodd Pritsky | Nov 23, 2012 9:29:56 PM

"Still, why not poke fun at the secesh"

Indeed they deserve it... if you can find any in real life, it would be even more satisfying to poke fun at them. But I don't know any. Ordinary Dems and ordinary Repubs don't go there, and most of us don't run in the Guv's social circles.

"And you know, people still ask me if VT has more cows than people..."

Nice try, but Texas really has been singled out since at least GeeDubya's selection as preznit, and more to the point, Texans... regular folks who mind their own business... have been subject to real vilification on the threads, disproportionate to their number in the population. I can't say some of them don't deserve it. But I don't, and some people have their blades out for me, too, for literally no reason other than that I'm from Texas. I can't change that fact... I'm too crippled even to contemplate moving. But it always astonishes me that people with politics similar to my own seem so reluctant to accept help or comradeship from people whose home address happens to end in "TX". There's a narrow-mindedness about it that always shocks me when it comes from a liberal.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 23, 2012 10:25:45 PM

Aw, Steve, you know those people are just dicks and would pick on somebody else online if Texans didn't exist.

Posted by: NTodd Pritsky | Nov 24, 2012 2:18:12 PM