« Bam! | Main | Oh, Atrios Is Gonna Love The Shrill One Today »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bam In PDX!

Shots from today's rally that ErinPDX and Mr, OtherWA, and E and I attended.

Some guy came to town.

Shit, I guess I won't vote for him now.

This one is to whet Atrios' appetite.

43 more below the fold...

One of those foolish youngsters waiting in the shade near the Press Entrance to help us out when needed.

Hours before the gates opened.

Poser vets.

In the Press line.

People were already lining up by 10AM, and the organizers worked the crowd up before the 1230 opening.

Hey, she ain't gonna win, but I'm glad she's in the race.

These folks were crowd control.  One on the right said to us, "he can call me sweetie anytime."

The bomb dog who sniffed our equipment and bags.

Some of the press getting set up with Hawthorne Bridge in the background.

We even had our own spot on the risers with a great view set aside for us, though Reuters tried to poach.

Mr PDX doing a pan.

Who is that hot chick listening to Mr PDX?

Have laptop, will cover.

This young lad got press credentials, which I think is wicked cool.

MSNBC's Richard Wolfe by the Honey Buckets.

NPR (left) and Fox (right) shared a spot on the riser.

NHK was late for the Decemberists, but got set up with plenty of time to catch the real rock star.

Listening to the Press Corps sing along with 16 Military Wives.

We used RockIt Cargo to ship our lab equipment around the country.

One of the Decemberist babies.

Playing Dad's tamborine.

Jamming.

Leading the crowd in some interactive singing.

The crowd follows directions.

An umbrella would've been a good idea.

Independents = Islamofascists?

Waiting for the motorcade.

I don't know which CNN dude this is.

This SS guy was dubbed Agent McDreamy by Erin, OtherWA and E.

Where's the tie, Earl?

Fans, get it?

Wheeeee!

Let's just say Agent McGrumpy wasn't so helpful when I queried him about a few things.

What fun to roll in the grass.

Almost the best view in the house.

Gosh, what are all these people doing here?  IDIOTS!

A corrupted youth who will undoubtedly waste her time canvassing for Bam in 2012.

Sam Adams, PDX's next mayor and the first openly-gay mayor in a Top 40 City.

The MC was great.

Got the crowd into the mood.

Lots of energy.

AWWWWWW.

Yes we can!

Some written stuff later, hopefully before I hop on the redeye...

May 18, 2008 | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bam In PDX!:

Comments

good job.

i like the ss guy, the pic of richard wolfe (don't be so mean), and the mc chick.

also the pic of who i presume is erin is quite nice.

Posted by: charley | May 18, 2008 10:45:40 PM

an incredible day with such delightful people! our amazing vantage point (thank you, Mr. ErinPDX) has me still smiling. so looking forward to meeting again.

Posted by: E | May 18, 2008 10:46:18 PM

Great pix. Thanks.

Posted by: Toonscribe | May 18, 2008 11:07:52 PM

Nice work NT... I have some pics and video of his speech posted too. Hope you enjoed our nice state.

Posted by: Kevin Hayden | May 19, 2008 1:11:18 AM

Wow. Fantastic photos. What a day that must've been.

Posted by: Ali | May 19, 2008 2:18:58 AM

Thx for the post and the pics.

Posted by: The Guilty Carnivore | May 19, 2008 3:44:30 AM

Wow, amazing pics, and two presidential ones! (In my head, Obama is already the president and the asswipe living in the Whitehouse is merely resisting the eviction notice.)

Hope you had sunscreen!

Posted by: Lesley | May 19, 2008 5:15:25 AM

One on the right said to us, "he can call me sweetie anytime."

I know I'm a humorless feminist, but this really bothers me. It's like students I have who see no problem with warrantless wiretapping because they themselves only use their cell phones to make plans with their friends. "If I don't mind, why should anyone?"

Feh.

Posted by: Molly Ivors | May 19, 2008 6:07:50 AM

Great job.

You go frickin' everywhere.

It's like your Bob Weir or something.

Posted by: Attaturk | May 19, 2008 7:58:19 AM

a minor thing, perhaps, but the mayor of Providence, RI is openly gay. Although Providence is more R 'n' B than Top 40.

Posted by: ronjazz | May 19, 2008 8:23:32 AM

Molly - I'd say first that there is a spectrum of "being feminist" and some people just aren't going to incensed by such comments. Also note that he called the reporter and apologized almost immediately, recognizing his error. It's a long, grueling campaign, he said something silly, and for people to focus on it rather than policy, etc, is also silly.

Posted by: NTodd | May 19, 2008 8:32:04 AM

Fantastic pictures, NTodd!

Posted by: Karin | May 19, 2008 8:54:16 AM

Wish I could have been there. Portland is a great city. The people are even better!

Posted by: Joy | May 19, 2008 10:16:27 AM

Phantastic Photos! The captions, as always, great story telling.

Posted by: mnkid | May 19, 2008 10:50:24 AM

Very cool!

Posted by: racymind | May 19, 2008 10:54:13 AM

Nice work, Todd. My friend and I have been discussing a trip to Portland for some time, because it's the only major American city I've never visited. It looks gorgeous, and the fact that so many turned out for Obama makes me want to go there even more.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Just wait till my pics from Denver, though ... ;)

Posted by: Sinfonian | May 19, 2008 2:52:15 PM

NTodd,
Actually, I was commenting not so much on what he said--he handled it as well as he could, I think--but on the whole "He can call me sweetie anytime" thing, which I find kind of annoying.

Posted by: Molly Ivors | May 20, 2008 5:23:20 AM

Molly - I understood that. Just saying that some people don't feel it was all that bad and he did the right thing after, so they shrug it off. The woman who said that was a vet, a pretty cool person and didn't strike me as anti-feminist or anything. She just has a different attitude about the word, is all, and was reacting to the Hillary people across the way who were making a big deal about it still. I don't think her personal feelings are damaging to feminism or the reporter's grievance about the incident in the first place.

Posted by: NTodd | May 20, 2008 12:54:48 PM

thanks, ntodd, for sharing your excellent photos once again.

Posted by: notaboomer | May 20, 2008 3:11:09 PM

Wow. I just love your photos, NTodd. No matter what the subject, you capture it with energy and immediacy.

Next best thing to being there. Thanks.

Posted by: Soprano | May 27, 2008 10:52:08 PM