« Valentines | Main | Fight The Power (Null Set) »

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fasting Again

Well, right now I'm eating because I'm once again starting my fast at the time Leslie's meeting with Conyers is supposed to start tomorrow.  Another 3-day affair that you might consider joining in whole or in part.

Hecate had posted a link to an interesting post about the spiritual side of fasting.  It had a quote that I googled to find the original source, which had other thought-provoking things to say:

How much of your daily routine do you perform subconsciously? You may be surprised. Sleepy patterns that barely need your presence to execute. A day of well-rehearsed reflex actions from brushing your teeth to dinner table talk. I once met someone who said, “My wife and I have been married so long that I know what she is going to say even before she says it.” Over the years they simply stop talking, tired of repeating the same old things or simply having nothing left to say.

The behavior of a caged animal is like that. Clearly seen in the worn path around the outside of the cage where day after day, the poor creature circles in the same course with automated steps. An endless rut of same-o same-o where the romance of life is gone. Replaced by dull duty, repetitious responsibility and hopeless escaping. It is difficult to become awakened to how much your life is driven by impulse and instinct.
...
It’s time for a change.

Fasting is a knife that cuts away superficiality, getting to the bone. Effective, because it is able to break up daily patterns upon which you have become so dependent. When those patterns of pleasure are removed, you are left with your own internal resources.

There's more God stuff in there than I generally go for, but it does reflect part of the point of fasting for me: breaking up my own routines.  If I'm to become the change I wish to see I must disrupt my own behavior patterns in the effort to do undermine the status quo in our society.  That's worth the price of admission from my perspective even if what I'm doing doesn't convince Conyers to launch an impeachment investigation.

(x-posted at Pax Americana)

February 14, 2008 in Pax Americana | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fasting Again:

Comments

OK. NTodd, I resisted saying this during your first fast, but I think it is appropriate, perhaps even necessary, to say it now. Some of us cannot fast without high medical risk to our health, perhaps to our lives.

If you are such a person, I do hope you will pursue one of the literally dozens of other techniques NTodd has listed and explained on his Pax blog. But if you know with reasonable certainty that fasting is not a safe undertaking for you, please do not fast. You are of no use to the cause if you are dead or in a coma.

That is all.

Posted by: Steve Bates | Feb 15, 2008 2:25:11 AM

Steve - yes, that's true, and I don't judge people who don't fast for whatever reason. However, I'll observe that an 87yo woman has committed to fasting unto death in this particular action...

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 15, 2008 2:29:29 AM

hi NTodd,

i'm the poster you just called a fuckdork over at atrios's blog, for no reason that was evident to me other than perhaps the opportunity to call someone a fuckdork.

i'm just inquiring into whether that made you feel better. about yourself. about the world. about whatever.

i don't mind in the least being called a fuckdork by a complete stranger. but since you felt the compulsion to do so, i'm just stopping by to make sure that the experience was all that you had hoped it would be. looking forward to your reply.

strength through peace,

sb

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 15, 2008 3:43:21 AM

hi again NTodd,

i've just now noticed your reply to me in the comment thread at eschaton.

i very much doubt that duncan's budget has room for hired comment thread thugs, so i assume you just volunteer your services? does that take up a lot of your time or do you still have room for other hobbies?

what sort of things have helped you most in cultivating your skills as a comment thread thug? upbringing? a good diet? exercise? again i look forward to your reply.

strength through peace,

sb

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 15, 2008 4:02:40 AM

What's great is that you feel compelled to come into a community, tell the community how it should operate, respond with trash talk when called on your shit, then keep up the Process Trolling not only over there but here, too! Oh, and for somebody who "waste[s] so little time paying attention to the comments section" you seem to crave a "welcome" as though you've never been there. Hmm.

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 15, 2008 4:13:38 AM

NTodd, enough with the stupid stuff. your entire post above is full of shit. anyone can see that for themself in comment thread you saw fit to attack me in. seriously, why are you jumping all over me?

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 15, 2008 4:42:21 AM

Oh boofuckinghoohoohoo! Process. Troll.

Get over it.

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 15, 2008 4:52:50 AM

NTodd,

you're retreating. running away actually. that makes you look bad. i see this place has a bunch of koufax nominations over on the left. don't go and take a piss on all of that.

why are you all up in my grill? do you even remember? are you going to engage me in a civil and humane manner or are you going to get all hysterical like a commenter at powerline?

take your pick.

strength through peace,

sb

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 15, 2008 5:16:04 AM

That's nice, dear. Maybe you should give it up. It's pretty fucking pathetic that you're focused so much on this and not trying to support your original "point". Speaking of comment amnesia...

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 15, 2008 6:04:01 AM

NTodd,

my original point was nothing more than a simple comment. why have you focused so much of your time attacking me over it?

strength through peace,

sb

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 15, 2008 6:16:58 AM

I haven't focused my time attacking you over it. I attacked your one stupid comment. You've kept the "oh, woe is me" shit going. Bra. Fucking. Vo.

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 15, 2008 7:25:25 AM

I attacked your one stupid comment.

yes, right. the part where you called me a fuckdork.

that's much easier than replying with any substance to a simple and scarcely controversial comment. i suppose an obsessively self-important sycophant like you is obliged to take such shortcuts. only so many hours in the day. i understand.

the real question, though, is why you were such an ass hole over something so trivial in the first place? that's for you to answer for yourself, or not, as you see fit. i won't stop by to read your reply. the last word is all yours.

Posted by: snarky boor | Feb 16, 2008 12:53:25 AM

Just can't let it go, eh?

Posted by: NTodd | Feb 16, 2008 9:07:40 AM