« Vermont Gets A Pony | Main | Santa Could Bring Me A Pony »

Monday, November 07, 2005

Time To Paint The Whitehouse Ceiling

I recall many wingers crowing about how Bush's popularity was "soaring", as evidencd by a Zogby poll last month pegging his approval at 45%.  GIven all the other polls that had him at 40 or below, I figured it was an anomoly.  It appears I was right:

After suffering what was perhaps the worst week of his administration, President Bush’s job approval rating has nosedived to a historic low, settling at 39%.

That's certainly more in line with other recent surveys. How does that compare to the only poll worth paying attention to™?  Not really all that far off:

Forty-two percent (42%) of American adults approve of the way George W. Bush is performing his role as President.

What's interesting to note is that Rasmussen has dropped wording like this which had appeared previously:

Before the past two weeks, the President's Approval Rating had never dipped below 43% in a Rasmussen Reports poll. It fell to 42% for the first time a week ago Friday, to 41% for the first time this past Wednesday, and to 40% for the first time on Friday.

With the exception of one spike to 45% right in between two 43% days, and a one-day dalliance with 40% itself, Bush has been at 43% or lower since October 19th.  Throw out the high and the low, and he's really hovering at 42% according to their daily tracking, which is smack dab in the middle of Zogby's last two polls.  I'm guessing that's his ceiling at this point.

So what's his floor?  Maybe somewhere between Cheney's 19% and Bush's won 35% in the latest CBS poll?  Heck, I'll just split the difference and say it's 27%.

Even if we see Bush stumbling around drunk and half-naked on the White House lawn, screaming to reporters that he lied about WMD, all while he tortures a puppy in front of its armless 10-year old Iraqi owner, there are going to be some hardcore folks who just won't be able to let go.  I'd like to think the number's lower, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I've lost my faith in some Americans' ability to distinguish between good and evil.

November 7, 2005 in Assmussen | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Time To Paint The Whitehouse Ceiling:

Comments

I don't think I've lost my ability to distinguish between good and evil.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 7, 2005 2:54:06 PM

Charlie, that thought, in and of itself, proves you have lost that ability. :)

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 7, 2005 3:15:03 PM

Well, Steve, do YOU have lost my ability to distinguish between good and evil?

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 7, 2005 3:17:18 PM

Sorry - that should read "do YOU think you have lost YOUR ability to distinguish between good and evil?"

Preview is my friend.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 7, 2005 3:18:19 PM

I like to hope that American's can still distinguish between good and evil, but then i wake up and realize that too many of them can't. or won't. I am not sure which one it is. Either way its scary.

-k-

Posted by: kristie | Nov 7, 2005 3:35:13 PM

I really feel that the faithful few who will go down with Titanic Dubya on his way to the bottom are in complete denial. They CAN'T acknowledge Bush is not who they decided he was: the Christian Holy Warrior who would bring back righteousness, goodness and truth. (Didn't they say something about how to recognize false prophets in the Bible?) How they could not see Bush said one thing and immediately did the opposite just staggers the mind.

I doubt they will ever be able to see what this administration is really about. They will even continue to mourn his impeachment and war crimes conviction long after the rest of the world has dusted themselves off and begun to undo the damage.

Posted by: ellroon | Nov 7, 2005 3:55:12 PM

Preview is my friend. - Charlie

Actually, I rather prefer the first version.

Well, Steve, do YOU have lost my ability to distinguish between good and evil? - Charlie

No, Charlie, I have not lost your ability to distinguish between good and evil. If it's lost, you'll have to find it yourself. :)

Unlike many in Mr. Bush's camp, I am not burdened with absolute moral certainty about my positions. That said, I'm pretty sure that torture... by whatever name Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney choose to give it... is evil under all circumstances: not "regrettable" or "unfortunately necessary" or "justifiable to save America," but just plain evil. Whether I am right or wrong about that, if America engages in torture (again, don't mince words; call it what it is), some of the consequences are a virtual certainty: more terrorists on tap, and more American troops needlessly dead. There are good practical reasons... self-interested reasons... why all presidents before Bush, of whatever political party, have required that America observe the Geneva Conventions. Any time you feel like advocating American torture, try putting yourself in the position of a G.I. captured by (fill in the blank) insurgents who know America practices torture.

(ellroon, are they really in denial? or in de Tigris?)

Posted by: Steve Bates | Nov 7, 2005 5:31:00 PM

Interesting...using a completely different approach, Kung Fu Monkey has the exact same estimate of the floor: 27%.

Posted by: DonBoy | Nov 9, 2005 12:00:14 AM

Amen, Sister Kristie! Testify! Not that I'm really rejoicing, not after many discussion/arguments with friends who pretty much think the Holy Son of Poppy is the Second Coming. How anyone could attribute righteousness or even decency to Chimpco is beyond me, but I don't lack acquaintances who think Clinton is literally the Antichrist and W is all sweetness and light. I decided earlier this year that I simply would no longer waste time or breath trying to rid such folk of their delusions. Still, how I wish they could be condemned to live with their god-emperor in some stinking corner of hell and let the rest of us try to repair the awful damage done to our image and standing in the world.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 9, 2005 1:02:57 AM