« NToddcast: Do Kids Today Even Know What A Broken Record Sounds Like? | Main | Insomniacphotoblogging »

Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Blood Is On All Our Hands

Cindy Sheehan:

I take responsibility partly for my son’s death, too. I was raised in a country by a public school system that taught us that America was good, that America was just. America has been killing people, like my sister over here says, since we first stepped on this continent, we have been responsible for death and destruction. I passed on that bullshit to my son and my son enlisted. I’m going all over the country telling moms: “This country is not worth dying for. If we’re attacked, we would all go out. We’d all take whatever we had. I’d take my rolling pin and I’d beat the attackers over the head with it. But we were not attacked by Iraq. {applause} We might not even have been attacked by Osama bin Laden if {applause}. 9/11 was their Pearl Harbor to get their neo-con agenda through and, if I would have known that before my son was killed, I would have taken him to Canada. I would never have let him go and try and defend this morally repugnant system we have. The people are good, the system is morally repugnant. {applause}

Please – teach your babies, teach your babies better than I taught my babies. When Congress gave George Bush the right to go to war, they abrogated their constitutional responsibilities and they basically made our constitution null and void. We have no checks and balances in this country. We have no recourse...

Cindy might not be the most polished person--she's not a politician--but she obviously is extremely insightful.

I bear responsibility for Casey's death as well.  How?  I didn't do enough to convince people to vote for Al Gore in 2000, or provide wise counsel in 2001, or help elect more Dems in the 2002 mid-terms, or rally enough people to prevent the war in 2003, etc.  This is, afterall, a democratic republic, and the State is granted power by the People.  That's you and me, folks.

I remember back during the Iran hostage crisis, I saw on CBS news (near the end of the Cronkite era) an anti-American demonstration in Tehran.  Amid all the burning US flags, one of those radical students was holding a sign that said, "We don't hate the American people, we hate Uncle Sam."  I couldn't fathom that because as far as I was concerned, Uncle Sam = NTodd.

No, I wasn't in charge--shit, I couldn't even vote back then--but my government was of the people, by the people, for the people.  What's more, even if I don't vote for the current regime, it's still my government.  It is my patriotic duty to criticize the government and keep it honest precisely because when it acts in the world outside the United States, it is an extension of me as an American citizen.

I do not support our war in Iraq, but it is still my war.  Some of the blood shed in prosecuting the clusterfuck falls upon my hands.  And Cindy's.  And yours.

Now the question is: can we wash our hands?

August 20, 2005 in Conscience | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Blood Is On All Our Hands:

Comments

“This country is not worth dying for."
Do you seriously believe that these are words that will attract anyone but the kooks and nutbars? Do you really think that someone who says something like this is going to be a symbol, a lightening rod for a large-scale popular revolt against the war?
And, finally, and on a more philosophical level, if a country (and by that I include its laws, way of life, etc) is not worth dying for, is not worth fighting for, then why is she even here and trying to change the country?

Posted by: bery | Aug 20, 2005 11:40:00 PM

I'll point you to some more comments made by Cindy Sheehan, at the blog called "A Family in Baghdad" in January 2005.

I want to let you know that I am so sorry what our leaders have done to your country. Casey was a peaceful, gentle guy, who joined the Army to protect America and to help people. He didn't join to be misused by an arrogant administration who are murderers. I don't blame the Iraqi who killed Casey...I blame Bush and his other followers.

My question to Ms. Sheehan is "How many other more American sons did this man who slew your son kill? How
many Iraqi sons, Iraqi daughters, Iraqi children?"

But no. In Ms. Sheehan's world, the Iraqis who blow up men standing in line to join their country's armed forces in Iraq are innocent. The man who killed her son is just misunderstood. Only George W. Bush is guilty.

Posted by: Rob Douth | Aug 21, 2005 2:18:13 AM

I visited Camp Casey yesterday and wasn't very impressed. If that's the center of the anti-war movement, then peace is unachievable.

As for why Duncan Black banned me from Eschaton ---again--- you know very well that it has nothing to do with me going beyond any pale; rather, it has everything to do with me exposing the thread-dwellers there as a bunch of mental pygmies. I embarrass him, fundamentally.

Posted by: Toby Petzold | Aug 21, 2005 6:18:21 AM

Wow...the Sheehan smear squad out in full "force," armed with fresh straw men, oppo dug up by the RNC operatives, and self aggrandizing chest thumping.

bery: Even a cursory reading demonstrates that Sheehan is distinguishing real America from "This" country, i.e., Bush's world, where to this day he continues to play the 911 card to justify the invasion and occupation of a country that has nothing to do with 911; where intelligence is fixed around a preordained policy, where we were going to be in and out in six months, where the conquered were to throw roses at us as we rode into Baghdad, where soldiers still don't have adequate armor, where billions of dollars and thousands of lives are wasted for an ever shifting basis for a phony war. No war should be started for that country, and no one should die for that country. When do you report for duty, by the way?

rob douth: I don't have the benefit of having that prior post handed to me by some RNC operative, but I am curious about the ellision immediately following your money shot. I'm curious what you [or the RNC] decided to edit out of the quote to make it suit your needs.

It's also funny how the leaders of the party of "personal responsibility" are blameless for putting kids in harm's way under false pretenses. Sure is handy that they are exempt from responsibility for the obvious consequences of their decisions.

Toby Petzold's effort to be smug and funny reveals more than he cares to: "Peace is unacheiveable" not because of a phony war and staged photo ops declaring "mission accomplished," but because a small group of protestors do not impress him.

Posted by: shpx.ohfu | Aug 21, 2005 10:02:04 AM

Also, to answer ntodd's question: not for a long, long, time. It takes a long time to get over screwing things up as badly as we did.

Let Georgie explain it:

I built all those roads - and do they call me "George the Road Builder? No. See all those schools I painted - and do they call me "George the School Painter?" No. I gave them an election, and do they call me "George the Election Bringer?" No.

But you fuck one lousy sheep . . . .

Posted by: shpx.ohfu | Aug 21, 2005 10:10:42 AM

That's odd. I feel no blood whatever on my hands. That's because I draw a very sharp distinction between the Bush bunch, including their supporters, and the rest of the U.S. Instead I see Bush as being the leader (though possibly just the figurehead) of a vicious gang that has taken over our house and is holding the rest of us hostage, along the way using our resources for their own evil purposes, and those resources include the military.

Posted by: Sofarsogoo | Aug 21, 2005 3:04:53 PM

No blood on my hands. Didn't do enough to convince people of...please, go bury your head in the sand. Instead of accusing every American of aiding and abetting come up with some original ideas and plan of action.
(Disclaimer: yes I realize this post is almost 4 years old. Since you posted it on Facebook it's fair game.)

Posted by: The Lone Vigilante | Apr 25, 2009 6:17:49 PM

Wow, your reading comprehension is wonderful. And I'll not I've been suggesting many things to do for years, but your comment seems devoid of any ideas. Hmm...

Posted by: ntodd | Apr 25, 2009 7:37:44 PM